Birth Injury Post Traumatic Stress
About the Investigation:
Trauma is defined as an emotional shock following a stressful event or injury that can cause long-term mental health issues, such as panic or anxiety disorders.
Any trauma experienced has the potential to permanently alter your brain chemistry, and affect how your brain handles memories, emotions and perceived threats.
The experience of a difficult birth can cause traumatic stress to both a woman and her partner. People are more likely to view their birth experience as traumatic if they had to endure:
• A long, difficult labor
• Medical interventions such as induction, forceps, emergency cesarean section
• Birth of a baby with a disability caused by something that occurred during delivery
• Poor treatment by hospital staff, feeling not listened to, or out of control during delivery
• Their baby having to stay in the NICU after birth
Symptoms of birth trauma arising later can include:
• Flashbacks or nightmares
• Hypervigilance about your baby
• Avoidance of situations that remind you of the trauma
• Sadness or guilt about the birth
Birth trauma can lead to problems within your relationships and feelings of isolation when it seems no one understands why you can’t “get over it.” The trauma can cause someone to question their desire for more children and even affect their ability to bond with their baby.
If you or a loved one experienced a traumatic birth and you feel it could have been avoided, fill out the form on this page to have an attorney review what happened to you and determine whether you have a case. At Siri & Glimstad, there is never any cost upfront to you for our representation. Our attorneys will evaluate your case for free to see if you have a claim. We get paid only if we win for you.
It is important to know that each state has a statute of limitations, which places a time limit on how long you have to file a claim. So don’t delay! Birth injury cases can be complex. You need a legal team on your side with the knowledge and tools to prove your case and get you compensation for your damages.
Share this page: